The road to seek knowledge in the university can be lonely or marvelously enriching. How to make your university life more fulfilling and complete? That it must be making a group of like-minded friends to walk together, to share your joy and bring care and blessings to you when you are down.
The Chinese character "Friend" is the ancient variant word "Phoenix". The two "yue" making up the word "Friend" are the wings of the word "Phoenix". They are inseparable and just as important as friends. uBuddies CUHK Peer Counselling Network is launched by the Wellness and Counselling Centre of the Office of the Student Affairs in 2010. It aims to promote a caring culture on campus and foster the spirit of peer mutual support and peer counselling. Studies have shown that peer counsellors play an influential role in supporting peers' personal growth, adjustment to u-life, academic study, interpersonal relationships, etc. Through a wide range of intensive training (more than 50 hours) and services which help enhancing personal growth, strengthen self-confidence and realizing their potential, uBuddies will be well equipped to undertake the important role as peer counsellors.
Getting to know our uBuddies 2021
Who are eligible to be peer counsellors?
If you are full-time non-final year undergraduate students in The Chinese University of Hong Kong; and you
- are interested in developing helping profession
- wish to develop your personal potential and character strengths
- love to help peers
- want to add colours to your university lives
The uBuddies Programme is designed to train peer counsellors to be confident and competent to support fellow students. Therefore, it consists of both training and service components.
Trainings and activities
uBuddies will master effective peer counselling skills through a series of systematic training, including basic peer counselling skills, Mental Health First Aid, adventure-based training camp, counselling supervision, etc.
|Dates||Trainings and Activities|
6 January 2022 (Thu)
2:30pm - 4:30pm
21-23 January 2022 (Fri to Sun)
|Adventure training camp (TBC - day camp or 3-days-2-nights overnight camp) in building team spirit; enhancing self-understanding and self-confidence|
25 February 2022 (Fri)
3:30pm - 5:30pm
14 January 2022 (Fri)
11 February 2022 (Fri)
18 February, 2022 (Fri)
5:45pm - 8:45pm
|Peer Counselling Skills Training I|
11 March 2022 (Fri)
18 March 2022 (Fri)
25 March 2022 (Fri)
11:30am - 1:00pm
|Peer Counselling Skills Training II|
17 & 19 May 2022 (Tue & Thu)
|12 hours on Mental Health First Aid Standard Course Training|
|May to August 2022||2 sessions on Practicum and Supervision|
After receiving different trainings and supervisions,as well as organizing group servie projects you will obtain the following qualifications:
- CUHK uBuddies Certificate
- Mental Health First Aid Certificate (Certificate is jointly issued by The Mental Health Association of Hong Kong and acknowledged by the Mental Health First Aid International)
- Participate in the 'Best uBuddies' election
- The qualification will be recorded in the Student Development Portfolio (SDP)
Under the supervision of our counsellors of the Wellness and Counselling Centre, uBuddies are going to provide the following services:
- Provision of counselling and support to peers so as to assist them to overcome difficulties such as adjustment to university life, studies, interpersonal relationship, etc. They are also obliged to make referrals to counsellors when necessary
- Organization group service projects for CU full time undergraduate students
Don't miss this valuable opportunity. Let's join hand to build a caring campus.